Outbound connection on port 1433

I’m trying to run a SQL migration script directory from Octopus Deploy Cloud but cannot connect:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections.

Is this due to the Octopus Deploy server not allowing outbound connections on port 1433? Is there a way to enable it? The Octopus Deploy static IP is firewall whitelisted on the Azure SQL database. I am able to connect using the same connection string from other servers.

Justin

Hi Justin,
Thanks for getting in touch and I’m very sorry for the delay in getting back to you. With Octopus, tasks are ran on a Dynamic Worker instead of the Octopus Server directly so you will need to white-list your dynamic workers’ Public IP address on the SQL Server. One issue that you may face here though is that the Dynamic Workers are typically short-lived and they will get created with a different Public IP address each time.

In Octopus Cloud, the most recommended approach is to use your own worker inside infrastructure that you control to accomplish this task.

I hpoe this helps.

Kind regards,
Lawrence.