Octopus Upgrade from 2020.50 to 2021.3.12132

Hi Support
We want to upgrade Octopus from 2020.50 to latest (2021.3.12132).
After comparing both the releases I can see huge list of changes with few breaking changes as well. Can you please help us with few queries.

• Should we upgrade to latest version directly or upgrade to all the interim versions one by one and test.
  • Any easy backup and recovery steps
  • How frequently should we upgrade Octopus
  • Any recommendation or suggestion you want to give for upgrade process.

Hi @smathur

Thank you for contacting Octopus support. We have the following topic in our documentation on upgrades: Upgrading a modern version of Octopus - Octopus Deploy

The safest option in your case would be to create a cloned instance with the same version of the Octopus server as in current production: 2020.50. Then back up your instance and apply an update to the cloned instance. That would give you a platform to test changes safely.

In general, we would suggest updating to the latest version directly. Unless you discover a breaking change, preventing you from using the latest version.
The backup process is documented here and here.
On update frequency: There is no universal advice on this. If you are comfortable with frequent updates, it will decrease the risk of having a large list of breaking changes rolled into a single update. On other hand, there is a small chance of encountering a bug, introduced in the latest release. Personally, I keep all my instances up-to-date.

Please let us know if you encounter any issues with the update. The support team is here to help.
Thank you.
Sergei

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.