Octopus tentacle error

Hi There - We have hundreds of machine running Octopus tentacles and one of our machine was running Octopus tentacle successfully before but our policy for: “if machine is not in use for 20 days then remove it from the Octopus environments”.

And now when I went to configure the tentacle again, it’s just throwing this error to me all the time…

System.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in XML document (0, 0). —> System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowWithoutLineInfo(String res)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
at System.Xml.XmlReader.MoveToContent()
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderXmlSettingsRoot.Read4_octopussettings()

And i have rebooted it, I have deleted Octopus all together and deployed it, everytime after the installation on the Tentacle mgr configuration step, am small window opens up and just throws this error and I can’t move anywhere from here.

This is on Windows 2008 R2, using dotnet framework 4.5.1. Also attaching the error for full details.

Would appreciate any help in this matter.

Cheers,
Sandeep Kapil.

Hi Sandeep,

To register an existing Listening Tentacle with the Octopus Server, you can just re-register it via the Octopus Server UI.
For a Polling Tentacle is probably better to follow https://octopus.com/docs/administration/tentacle-configuration-and-file-storage/manually-uninstall-tentacle to completely uninstall it and then run the Tentacle Manager to recreate it.

Cheers
John