Octopus Stuck on Loading please wait page

Our Octopus server and database is installed on one server. We’re looking to have a second version of the server to test Octopus upgrade. To accomplish this we had our Octopus Server Clone by our wintel team. When i try and start the Octopus website on the new server (http://localhost/Octopus) it hangs on “Loading, please wait” screen. I’m not able to see any log errors. Can you please advise how we investigate what is wrong with the server?

ps. we are running Octopus server 3.17.11

Hi @binh.au,

Thanks for getting in touch! There could be quite a few things potentially cuasing this issue, would you be able to upload your Octopus server logs for the instance which is hanging on the loading screen?

The logs can be found in your Octopus home instance log folder. C:\Octopus\Logs in a default installation. For different instances the default would be C:\Octopus\InstanceName\Logs.

Would you be able to provide some further information about the process your wintel team used when cloning Octopus?

The above information should have the information required to understand what could be going wrong here. :slight_smile:

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Best regards,

Doc1.docx (98.8 KB)

OctopusServer.txt (8.9 KB)

I’ve been informed they just use VMware to clone.

Hi @binh.au,

Thanks for attaching the information. The chances are it is related to the way the Octopus server was copied. I will need to get some more information to better narrow down the issue.

Is the new Octopus server on a separate machine?
Is the new Octopus server starting from the Octopus Server Manager UI?
Is the new Octopus server configured to use it’s own Database?

I have not seen a clone like this attempted with an Octopus server. We have documentation on our recommended way to copy your Octopus server. There are quite a few things to note when you copy the Octopus server. The following documentation has some notes on backing up and restoring.

If do not know what is involved with a VMware clone but Octopus will not work correctly if it has simply been “Cloned” to a new server.

Octopus lets you have up to 3 active installations, however if you do not have a High Availability license then each installation requires its own unique database.

Generally the recommended method for test Octopus servers is to create a backup of your Octopus DB and restore it separately to your main Octopus DB. Once the database is ready for a new server, you can Install Octopus on your new server and connect to this database. Avoiding the above High Availability licensing limit.

Let me know if this information helps or if I am missing anything here. :slight_smile:

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Daniel

i am stuck in initializing…
" it may take a while, please wait and don’t exist " this is what showed on the screen.
Any help?

Good morning @arsanyzaki5,

Thank you for contacting Octopus Support and sorry to hear you are having trouble with your Octopus Instance.

Are you a cloud or on-prem user, I cant seem to find your email in our system.
Is your setup similar to this thread in that you have cloned a server via VMware and it’s now experiencing this issue?

If you are on our cloud instance and have only just registered it does take some time to set the instance up so waiting a while and refreshing usually does the trick.

If you are on-prem can you try using another browser and see if it lets you log on, sometimes cookies and cache play a factor in the Octopus page loading properly.

If none of these help are you able to give us a bit more detail about your setup please and how this happened and we can dig into it for you,

Kind Regards,

Clare

I unstained it, do you know if it will charge me again.

It stuck here?
Any help

Hey @arsanyzaki5,

Are you sure you have come to the right forum? We are Octopus Deploy, a CI/CD software company based out of Australia.

Your screenshot doesn’t look like what we would typically see from an Octopus UI page. This looks like a mobile phone app you have installed via google play but we don’t have a mobile phone app, it’s all Windows and Linux based software.

Kind Regards,

Clare