Octopus Server - SQL Timeout - Insert in Event table

Octo.exe is return the following errors. What indexes can we create in the DB to minimize these spurious errors? How can we increase the SQL Timeout?

Handshaking with Octopus server: http://vm-octopus-01.englab.caradigm.com

Handshake successful. Octopus version: 3.4.6; API version: 3.0.0

Authenticated as: **************

Finding project: *******************

Finding release: 10.3.2317.0213-ciint

Error from Octopus server (HTTP 500): Octopus Server returned an error: Error while executing SQL command: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

The command being executed was:

INSERT INTO dbo.[Event] WITH (TABLOCKX) (RelatedDocumentIds, ProjectId, EnvironmentId, TenantId, Category, UserId, Username, Occurred, Message, Id, Json) values (@RelatedDocumentIds, @ProjectId, @EnvironmentId, @TenantId, @Category, @UserId, @Username, @Occurred, @Message, @Id, @Json)

Server exception:

System.Exception: Error while executing SQL command: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.

Hi Michael,
I’m sorry to hear that you are having some issues getting Octo.exe to run.
Unfortunately at the moment the timeout period for the commands are hard-coded and not configurable.
Part of the reason is that at 60 seconds, the timeout being set ought to be enough for any request. Ideally I would love to get to the bottom of why the request is taking so long and see what could be causing that.

I have put together some documentation about providing database performane metrics to help you provide the information we need to improve the performance. In your case I think the best information we could get would be to see the execution plan being used by SQL Server when that [dbo].[Event] insert is taking place along with any other queries taking place at that point in time.

As pointed out in that documenation, the Server logs should also contain some information about long running queries. If you could provide these details to see what could be running at that point in time, perhaps we can work out what else seems to be causing that query to take so long.

Out of curiosiry how many projects and releases do you currently have in the database? Also, are there any hardware bottlenecks you can see on the sql server? Perhaps CPU, memory or IO being thrashed?

I look forward to getting this more detailed information. Im sorry I couldn’t provide a simple “run this command” type of response, but hopefully we can find a solution. If this continues to be a problem then as a last resort we can always look at exposing the timeout configuration to allow it to be increased.
Thanks again.
Robert