Octopus Server 2.6.0.778 crashed

This afternoon our octopus server crashed this is running on a Win 2k8 r2 server. The event log is below. There doesn’t seem to be anything else in the octopus logs. this is also the first time it has happened to us as far as I can tell. We’ve been running 2.6 since the start of January I think it is. So it may just be a one off but thought I’d post the logs in case there is something more serious going on.

Faulting application name: Octopus.Server.exe, version: 2.6.0.778, time stamp: 0x548f6a79
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18409, time stamp: 0x5315a05a
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x000000000000940d
Faulting process id: 0x85c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d032253b4e5a95
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy\Octopus\Octopus.Server.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: b61ccdae-a16e-11e4-8a6b-005056897d64

Application: Octopus.Server.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException
Stack:
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(System.Object, System.Object[], System.Signature, Boolean)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(System.Object, System.Object[], System.Object[])
at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(System.Object[])
at System.ExecutionContextLightup.Run(System.ExecutionContextLightup, System.Action1<System.Object>, System.Object) at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore+MoveNextRunner.Run() at Microsoft.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.RunNoException(System.Action) at Microsoft.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter+<>c__DisplayClassa.<OnCompletedInternal>b__4(System.Threading.Tasks.Task) at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute() at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean) at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteWithThreadLocal(System.Threading.Tasks.Task ByRef) at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteEntry(Boolean) at System.Threading.Tasks.ThreadPoolTaskScheduler.TryExecuteTaskInline(System.Threading.Tasks.Task, Boolean) at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskScheduler.TryRunInline(System.Threading.Tasks.Task, Boolean) at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskContinuation.InlineIfPossibleOrElseQueue(System.Threading.Tasks.Task, Boolean) at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.FinishContinuations() at System.Threading.Tasks.Task1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].TrySetResult(System.__Canon)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].SetResult(System.__Canon) at Raven.Client.LinqExtensions+<FirstOrDefaultAsync>d__2e1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].MoveNext()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore+MoveNextRunner.Run()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.RunNoException(System.Action)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter+<>c__DisplayClassa.b__4(System.Threading.Tasks.Task)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteWithThreadLocal(System.Threading.Tasks.Task ByRef)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteEntry(Boolean)
at System.Threading.Tasks.ThreadPoolTaskScheduler.TryExecuteTaskInline(System.Threading.Tasks.Task, Boolean)
at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskScheduler.TryRunInline(System.Threading.Tasks.Task, Boolean)
at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskContinuation.InlineIfPossibleOrElseQueue(System.Threading.Tasks.Task, Boolean)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.FinishContinuations()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Finish(Boolean)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteWithThreadLocal(System.Threading.Tasks.Task ByRef)
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ExecuteEntry(Boolean)
at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()

Hi Huw,

Sorry to hear that your Octopus Server crashed and thank you for reporting this to us.

To enable us to investigate this issue, could you please follow the intstructions on this page to enable crash dumps for Octopus Server:

If Octopus Server crashes again, please upload the generated crash dump here https://file.ac/aAqfa3GJHbc/ and we will investigate why the crash occurred.

Thank you and warm regards,

Henrik

Hi Henrik,

hope you’re well. We’ve had another crash and I have a dump file but I don’t seem to be able to upload the file to the link you sent.

I’ve tried using chrome, firefox and IE but they all just show a screen saying there are no files in this directory and, as far as I can tell,

no way to upload one.

Anyway, if you can let me know what I might be doing wrong I’ll upload the dump file.

Cheers,

Huw

Hi Huw,

Sorry about that, could you please try this link instead, https://file.ac/a_t9M5apV9Q/

Henrik

Hi Henrik,

No problem, I’ve now updated the dump file. Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Huw

Hi Huw,

We’ve investigated the crashdump you uploaded and it is caused by an exception thrown in the Lucene.net component we currently use for indexing the built-in package repository.

We are moving away from using this component in 3.0, so this issue will be resolved once 3.0 is released.

Henrik

Hello,
I have exactly the same problem. And what is the solution for this problem? Because in my case the service is not even starting anymore.

Cheers
Mirko Arnold

Hi Mirko,

Sorry for the problems you are having. We will need your server logs to figure out what might be causing your service not to start.
Anything under c:/Octopus/logs. Email them through to support at octopusdeploy dot com

Vanessa