Octopus Import - Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Hi guys,

I’m trying to migrate our self hosted Octopus setup to Octopus Cloud. But I’m getting this error when trying to import a project:

Octopus Server returned an error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Error from Octopus server (HTTP 500 InternalServerError)
Exit code : -7

Here’s a screenshot of the output from the command line (sensitive data has been censored):

Without access to a stack trace, I have no idea what the cause of this could be. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Cale Banfield

Hi,
Thanks for getting in touch! I’m sorry to hear that you are running into problems migrating to Octopus Cloud. The ability to migrate into Octopus Cloud is very new so it comes with some caveats at the time of writing this:

1. The only tested method at present is using the Migration API. We’ve tested this with reasonable results, but there may still be some edge cases that we’ve missed. Essentially, you export a package from your source server, upload it to your Cloud Instance’s Library, and trigger a migration task on the cloud instance, which then runs the migration locally in the correct user context. We (re)enabled this in 2018.8.2

2. It’s critical that the versions on both sides match - trying to import a simple configuration from a different version might work, but it’s definitely not guaranteed. For example, attempting an export from say 2018.3.2 into 2018.8.2 will definitely fail - the schemas are just too different.

3. There are some quirky configurations which don’t migrate well - for instance multi-scoped variables don’t tend to migrate easily, and sometimes need to be patched up by hand - you may need to do a partial export to take problematic data out of the import

4. Migrating users will result in users with no team memberships. You’ll need to manually re-add users to teams, if you’re exporting users.

I look forward to hearing how thing go with migrating to Octopus Cloud!

Kind regards,
Lawrence.