Octopus deploys getting slower and slower

For some reason, our Octopus deploys are getting slower and slower as time passes. We are running Octopus 2.5.5.318. Could this be some kind of resource leak issue (we rarely restart Octopus or reboot the server it is one)?

scott

Note, Octopus.Server.exe is currently using 2.5gb RAM on a dedicated hyperV VM (Win2008) with 4gb of assigned RAM.

Hi Scott,

So the deployments themselves would used to take X minutes and now that has increased and they take longer for a very similar unchanged deployment?
Could you provide us with a deployment log for one of the slower ones? http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Get+the+raw+output+from+a+task
(Mark the thread as private or email it through to support at octopusdeploy dot com
Does the server itself feel slow?
We made some changes to deployment messaging, but without seeing your logs I can’t really be sure that would increase the speed of the deployments.

Vanessa

I suspect Octopus may have a resource leak. When we restart the Ocotpus service it typically uses appx 500mb RAM. For some reason over time, that figure starts creaping up and doesn’t come back down.

Hi Scott,

This is mostly to do with Raven - when it does it’s thing it uses any available memory to run the queries or requests faster, but doesn’t release them if it’s not needed elsewhere. All databases will do this.
Did you find Octopus ran faster after the restart?

Vanessa

The restart did not fix the issue so I guess it’s not memory related :frowning:

My next attempt to resolve the issue will be to move the Octopus VM from our HyperV2008 server to our newer HyperV2012 server. Trying to decide if I want to move the VM or recreate it from scratch.

A new VM would be a new OS instance but maintain the same machine name as the old Ocotpus VM. If I recreate a new VM from scratch, what all do I need to existing Ocotpus VM as far as backups? How do I maintain the Octopus key structure in this scenario?

thanks

scott

Vanessa, our current Octopus server is Win2008 R2 VM with 1 core / 4GB RAM.

Can we backup/restore to the new VM on a newer / different OS like Win2012 or does the OS need to remain constant between backup / restores? Would like to make new server have 2 cores and maybe 8gb ram. Is that a problem when restoring backup to new server/VM?

thanks

Hi Scott,

To move Octopus, simply installing it on a new server, copying the master key from the old one and installing the backups with the old Master Key on the new install will create a ‘new’ instance of Octopus on a new server, with everything data wise from the old, including using the old Master Key. Octopus and it’s configuration/database and backup don’t really care what server they are on or where they are going to, only that you have the Master Key which is linked to the backup.

When you run through this process, please be patient. It will have to rebuild all indexes, and reconnect to all tentacles and it takes time. Doing things like forcing resetting connections doesn’t really help and you should find they all come online.

Vanessa

Vanessa, we are currently on Octopus 2.5.5.318. Do we have to restore to that version as well or can we install the latest version and restore the backup?

Hi Scott,

To be safe I would restore that version, import your database and then upgrade.
There were a few changes between those versions that effected the database.

Vanessa

Much faster now that we are on new virtual server.