Octopus Deploy software versioning

I am confused by the version #'s of Octopus Deploy software.

On the download page I see the the current version is v3.11.16

On the roadmap page I see that versions: 3.2, 3.3 and 3.4 are also “released”. However, v3.2, for example was released “November 3, 2015”, nearly 2 years ago but it has a higher version number than the current release available on the downloads page.

Can someone shed some light on the versioning logic? Is v3.11.16 really the latest? What happened to v3.2+ ?

Hi Matt,

Thanks for getting in touch. You’re right! This is confusing. The biggest issue is that we haven’t updated our ‘roadmap’ page in a very long time. It’s maintained manually and honestly, we’ve forgotten about it. That said, we have a great blog post on our plans for 2017 that is up to date.

In regards to versions, we generally ship feature releases as minor version bumps. i.e. 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 … 3.8, 3.9, 3.10, 3.11 etc. This means that Octopus 3.11 is newer than 3.2. Our latest version is Octopus Deploy 3.12.0 (released this week) and we’re currently working on monthly feature releases. So next month Octopus 3.13.0 will launch, then 3.14.0 etc. Within the month, we’ll ship patch releases that fix bugs and include minor enhancements as they’re ready. For example, we’re preparing Octopus 3.12.1 that includes a number of fixes.

I hope this clears things up. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks

Rob