[ Octopus 2023 ] Target definition already changed

Hello Octopus Team,

First of all I wish you all the best for this new year, may you and your families be healthy!

I’m facing a problem to accuretly be able to count the evolution of our targets number with the changes introduced with 2023 version.

Few month ago we made calculation based on target defintions that are on this page : Changes to Octopus Server & Cloud pricing - Octopus Deploy

But between the time we calculated and now the definitions on this page changed :frowning:

before :

• Azure Web App = 1 target per Azure App Service Plan
  • Kubernetes cluster = 1 target per node

now

• Azure Web App = 1/5 target per Azure Web App
  • Kubernetes cluster = 1 target per namespace

You can still see “old new definitions” in the help tooltip of the calculator.

Is that the final target definition or should we expect new changes?

Best regards,

Gregory

Hi @gregory.blanc

Thanks for the kind words!

I apologise that these got changed after you have already made some calculations. These definitions should be the final iteration, as far as we know in support. So I would recalculate using these.

As for the tooltip, I’ll mention this internally to see if we can get this changed to reflect the page contents.

Hopefully the calculation changes for you won’t be too annoying to change, and I once again apologise for this recent change.

If you have any questions, please let me know!
Kind Regards
Sean

Hello @sean.stanway,

Thanks for this confirmation, I have a last question regarding target definitions.

Which Octopus version is the first to come with those new targets counts?
I’m gessing it’s starting with 2023.x but I can’t find clear answer to that.

Kind Regards,

Gregory

Hi @gregory.blanc

I’m not too sure on when it’s getting introduced into a specific version. I’ve asked our product team to weigh in and see if I can get an answer for you.

Once they’ve come back, I’ll let you know.

Kind Regards
Sean

Hello @sean.stanway,

We are looking forward to this.
Depending the version we could be stucked in the middle cause we ordered less Professional licences than what we actualy have, anticipating the new target definition.

So preparing for that possibility could you clarify the “bursting” introduced in 2022.3?
How can we calcute the authorized burst?
Fixed number of targets or percentage of the total amount of licences?

Kind regards,

Gregory

Hi @gregory.blanc

The best place to get more in depth information on the upcoming licensing and details on it would be to email our sales team at sales@octopus.com. They’ll be able to answer any questions without having to go through us in support to wait on an answer.

If you do have any technical questions though, please let me know!

Kind Regards

Hello @sean.stanway,

Sure I will do that, I just thought that it could be helpfull for other customers as well or to make documentation more clear about that :wink:

So just waiting from you the version number that introduced, or will introduce, new target count definition and will ask to sales support about bursting.

Kind Regards,

Gregory

Hi @gregory.blanc

I’ll definitely mention to our product team to improve the clarification for the licensing, so everything is clearer for customers, especially when it comes to certain features (bursting, for instance).

I’ll get back to you soon on the version in which we will aim to introduce these features.

Kind Regards
Sean

Hi @gregory.blanc

Apologies for the late reply. I’ve been awaiting an answer on this from our internal team.

Unfortunately, our Lighthouse feature that will monitor the target counts based on the new definitions has been pushed back, so it’s for “sometime in 2023”. I’m sorry I can’t give a more solid version of when this will come out, but I have been assured that since this is such a large feature, it will be communicated customer wide with the actual version when it is ready.

I hope this answers the question, albeit a bit ambiguously.

Have a good day!
Kind Regards
Sean

Hi @sean.stanway,

Thanks for your answer and report to your product team. :+1:t3:

We noticed changes on the page Changes to Octopus Server & Cloud pricing - Octopus Deploy that clarify all that. We are now in contact with your sales team to find a solution.

Kind Regards,

Gregory

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.