Octo service does not start automatically

I have a working installation of Octopus Deploy 1.6.1.1718 running on my server. However whenever the machine is restarted I have to go onto the box and start the service manually.

It is set to Automatic start yet never starts. When I start the service manually it works fine with no errors.

No events relating to the service are written to the EventLog.

Any ideas?

Hi Ash,

Can you try automatic (delayed start)?

Paul

Hi,

Delayed start lists the service as ‘Starting’ then it reverts back to ‘Stopped’ (or blank in the service manager).

Service started fine by manually starting via the service manager.

Are there any logs written during startup?

Cheers

Hi Ash,

Any logs would be written to the Windows application event log; we don’t currently write any messages to disk but we will in Octopus 2.0.

You could try using sc.exe from the command line to give the service a dependency on the built-in Workstation (LanmanWorkstation) service. This should make our service start once the rest of the machine has started.

Paul

Hi

Dependency added

(sc config Octopus depend= LanmanWorkstation) and restarted the server, the service still fails to start (Workstation service started successfully).

I think in this instance we need some logging pushed to the event logs or disk somewhere.

Kind regards

Ash

We have a similar problem. I have the tentacle installed on about 30 machines - a mix of 2008 and 2003 servers. When we patch and reboot our servers, the agent will randomly not start on some of them. Sometimes it starts, sometimes it doesn’t.

Thanks all, for Octopus 2.0 we’re making a few changes to the services and logging so hopefully we’ll be able to resolve this problem.

Paul

We too are seeing this.

This is what we see in the system log.

The Octopus Tentacle service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Does setting it to delayed start help?

Any thoughts on when v2 will be released?

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian,

We’re hoping for a v2 release in August/September. Delayed start seems to work for some people. Adding a dependency on LanmanWorkstation seems to work for other people.

Paul

Thanks for the update Paul, much appreciated.

Ian