New Process Old Release

I am very new to Octopus Deploy and working on building a design of octopus to help take control of our deployment process. My question is about modifying the deployment process in an older release. I have a series of releases lets say 1, 2, and 3. They are all for the same project and come out in that order. Now something is found in release 1 that makes me create release 1.1 for our clients but requires me to modify the process. However Release 3 does not require this modification not does release 4 right around the corner. How do I accomplish this? Do I need to create a new project? Am I understanding this in that the process is ties to the project and not really the release?

Hi @blemke,

Thanks for getting in touch! You’re correct that the process is tied to the project instead of the release. While you can update the variables in the release snapshot, there’s no mechanism to update the deployment process in the snapshot. I think the best solution over separating these into multiple projects might be to utilize the channels feature which will allow you to scope different steps to these channels, and create releases within the appropriate channel. Meaning you can make changes to a certain step that only runs in a specific channel without affecting the steps that run in the other(s).

I hope this helps! Let me know what you think, or if you have any followup questions or concerns moving forward. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

I will start checking out channels. Thanks for the advice.

1 Like