Need to Restart Tentacle after VM Restore

Hi,

I’ve got a Win 10 VM running under Hyper-V where I’ve installed a Polling Tentacle.

Everything is working fine and I create a Checkpoint of the VM in my Hyper-V host.

I then Delete the Tentacle instance and (obviously!) a Health Check times out and displays an error to that effect in the Octopus UI.

Applying the Checkpoint in Hyper-V rolls back the VM to before the Tentacle was deleted and sure enough the VM now has the Tentacle installed.

The problem is the Health Check still times out. I need to “Restart” the Tentacle before the Octopus Server can see the Tentacle on the VM. I was expecting the VM to be “put back” in the same state as the Checkpoint saved it as.

Can anyone help in getting the Tentacle to stay healthy after a VM Checkpoint restore?

Thanks
Nic

Hi,
Thanks for getting in touch! I’m sorry to hear you are seeing issues where a polling Tentacle will timeout after applying a snapshot of a VM’s previous state.

I decided to test out this behaviour and I discovered that after applying a Checkpoint, the polling Tentacle will eventually respond to Octopus Server after several attempts.

A potential work-around here could be to reduce the health-check interval on your Hyper-V target machines.

I look forward to hearing if this works for you. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,
Lawrence.

Thanks - I’ll give it a go.