Need to deploy subset of Process for project

I’m testing Octopus 3.3 and have a question about deploying a subset of a Process. I have a Project defined that deploys an IIS application. This deploys both compiled artifacts as well as a package that contains the HTML and Javascript files. However, I sometimes need to be able to deploy just the UX code and not the other steps required for other changes (e.g. Database update steps).

Is there a way to define a Process that is made up of a subset of a Process? I know I can select which steps to execute through the ‘Advanced’ option, but is there an easier way to do this? I.e. by someone who won’t necessarily know which specific Process steps should or shouldn’t be execute?

I could create a separate Channel / Lifecycle so the Process can determine whether to run the step or not but I was wondering if there is a suggested way to do this.

Thanks,
Gary

Hi Gary,

Thanks for getting in touch! While there is no way to create a “Subset” of processes in the manner that you suggest, the channel option sounds exactly like what you need here. You can create a Channel for each step that needs to act this way and assign it a Lifecycle of its own. You could also create a Channel for all of the steps in case the deployment calls for them to all be run.

We do have extensive documentation on how to create/implement Channels. However, if you have any questions or run into any issues, please don’t hesitate to get in touch. We are always happy to help.

Let me know how you go.

Best regards,
Daniel