Multiple Octopus Instances on Different Hosts

Hi,
The documentation does not suggest any support for multiple instances running on different servers/machines. Ideally I don’t want to touch Octopus Production box, but create a test instance and deploy to it [but with the luxury of a database copied from prod box]. Why should I create extra load/use the prod resources if my aim is just to get a test box? Is there anything we can do?
Thanks,
Ebru

Hi Ebru,

Thanks for reaching out. You can definitely install another instance of Octopus on a different server. If you want to keep using the database copied from the prod box, all you need to do is:

1. Make a copy of your Master Key
  2. Take a backup of your SQL database.
  3. Restore your SQL database on your new SQL server.
  4. Create a new Octopus instance in your new machine and point it to your new SQL Server. During the Instance Wizard you’ll be asked for the Master Key.

Best regards,
Dalmiro

Hi Dalmiro,
When you take these steps, your new test instance gives a “License limits exceeded” warning because the active node count has gone up by 1. How can this be rectified so you can run a test instance on a second machine?

Hi,

You need to remove the node that references the previous instance and keep the one that belongs to the current instance following these instructions: https://octopus.com/docs/administration/high-availability/troubleshooting-node-limits-exceeded-error

Best regards,
Dalmiro

Thank you Dalmiro, it works perfectly fine!