Modify User.Username to help move from Active Directory to Azure AD

I am working on switching our self-hosted Octopus instance from using Active Directory to Azure AD. For some accounts, all is well. Others are not matching (I have disabled auto creation).

Looking at the User table in the database, I see that on the problem accounts Username does not match EmailAddress (email is correct; username matches…or almost matches…prior local domain logins). These are some of the earliest Octopus users at our organization.

Updating Username directly in the database to the correct value seems to resolve the issue. But before I move this change beyond my test environment, I’d like to make sure this isn’t going to cause problems elsewhere.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for getting in touch! Great question, and one I don’t positively know the answer to since I don’t have specific experience doing this, and I don’t see any cases of other users doing similar. However, I don’t foresee any issues possibly being caused elsewhere by these changes in the database, though I’d strongly urge safety with changes like this, and keep backups of your database just in case it’s needed.

We have some documentation in this area that might be helpful as well.

I hope this helps, and please let us know if you have any questions or concerns moving forward. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

Your docs on migration and enabling Azure AD were very helpful and made both a cinch. The only wrinkle was this old account issue, and I think my data patch has solved it (we have backups…in case).

Thanks!

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for following up and letting me know! That’s great to hear the docs helped and everything went through pretty smoothly. If you have any questions moving forward, please don’t hesitate to reach out. :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.