Migrating Community Edition to New Server

Hello,

I’m in the process of moving over servers and Octopus Deploy is one of the applications that needs to be moved over. I saw that in February that there is no longer a free version (community edition) available, which is the version that I’m using. In the process of the migration I also saw that a license is required in the setup of the version we’re using, so is the “grandfathering” in of the community edition void if you migrate servers because of the migration process?

Sorry for the probably dumb question.

Thank you!

Kevin Larsen

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for getting in touch,

This definetly isn’t a dumb question, apologies this isn’t more apparent from our website, I’ll make sure to pass feedback along.

You are correct that the free license tier has been removed as per the following blog post;

In it’s current form you won’t be able to transfer the existing license to a new server as a result.

To setup Octopus on the new server you will need to look at purchasing a license. If you require some additional time to orchestrate this, I would recommend navigating to the trial area of our website and commencing the trial here to continue using Octopus on the new server if you aren’t able to keep your old server operational.

For some extra information on moving Octopus servers I’ve included a link to our documenation below;

As per this documenation, please note;

You can only move your server to the same version, you cannot move to an upgraded version. Either upgrade your existing server, then move the Server and files, or move then upgrade on the new server.

I hope this helps!

If you require any further assistance or clarification, please let me know :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,

Reece

Hi Reece,

Thanks for the info. My only question now turns to the pricing model, is the 5 machines referring to being able to deploy to up to 5 different machines with no other limitations (users, steps in deployment process, etc)? Also, I deploy to only two different servers, but one of the servers has 2 sites on it (both with a different steps), would that count as 1 machine or 2 machines?

Thank you,

Kevin Larsen

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for getting back to me,

The 5 machine license on our website has the limitation set only to 5 machines whilst you can have an infinite number of Users and Projects.

If the sites on the second server are setup as two different deployment targets then this will count as two targets.

Machines that count towards that limit include Tentacle, SSH endpoints and Offline Drops (Cloud Regions are not counted towards the machine limit in your license)

I hope this helps!

If you require any further assistance or clarification, please let me know :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,

Reece

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.