Merging of two Octopus Deploy instances

Greetings,
we are moving to a centrally managed Octopus Deploy instance for our engineering teams and we would like to bring over the configuration & project from an existing instance that will be decommissioned.

As there are already other projects, lifecycles, environments, etc… in the new central Octopus Deploy instance, is there any possibility to selectively import data from the old one?

Thanks & best regards,
Robert

Hi Robert,

You can use the Octopus.Migrator.exe CLI to perform a partial-export of a single project.

However, this will also export everything that projects depends on (e.g. Lifecycles, Variable-Sets, Environments), and these will be matched by name on the destination server.

So if you have any name clashes of resources which you want to be different, you may want to rename them before exporting.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if we can provide any further assistance.

Regards,
Michael

HI Michael,
Thanks for the suggestion. I’m going to look into this for the export.

I don’t believe we will have any sort of name clashing at the moment as the projects are completely unrelated but still it’ll be good to check.

Kind regards,
Robert

Hi,

To make sure there are no name clashes of resources when doing an import, can you please clarify the below:
Will Octopus look for names we give for variable sets and lifecycles (for eg: “Lifecycle for Project-abc”) or will it look for ids (for eg: Lifecycle-1 or variableset-LibraryVariableSets-63) ?

Thanks
Navya

Hi Navya,

Names are used as the keys.

By default, if a matching resource exists on the target it will not be overwritten. If you are using the Migrator Command-Line interface, there is an --overwrite argument to the import command which changes this behaviour.

I hope that helps,
Michael