Merge work items between releases

Hi,
We started using Octopus Jira Plugin to send deployment statuses to Jira.
Let’s say that We have two environments non-prod and prod. On each environment We have A release. Developers make changes and create two releases B and C in non-prod environment. Each release notify Jira issues separately about new version in non-prod environment. But when We make deploy C (newest) release to prod, Octopus will only inform issue related with C version, without B.
Maybe this is the correct behavior, but Octopus should merge work items between releases and then notify each issue from last release to newest.

Could you help ?

Best regards
Piotr

Hey Piotr,

Thanks for reaching out.

What you’re describing should be the typical behavior.

Each release will have individual build information notes, but each deployment to an environment will lump up the build information since the last deployment to that same environment.

Here is a quick chart that will show the expected behavior: Release notes - Octopus Deploy

In your deployment to prod C, are you seeing the changes as expected on the right hand side like in this screenshot?

Please let me know if it’s there for you. You may need to click show more.

Best,
Jeremy

Hi @jeremy.miller,
thanks for your quick response.

Indeed, Octopus lump up the build information since the last deployment, but why not send notification status to Jira with whole collection of work items. For example, We observe that some older issues are only deployed to DEV in Jira, but feature from this version is present on higher environments. It seems that Octopus don’t merge work items between versions.

Best
Piotr

Hey Piotr,

Just to make sure I’m understanding correctly, your deployments have the lumped deployment changes on the right (all correct for your situation), but when you deploy to Jira it only sends deployment information for a certain subset of work items and not all and that’s what you want?

Best,
Jeremy

@jeremy.miller you understood this correctly. Octopus sends work items related only with current deployment package. But after more deeply check this can related with our retention policies in lifecycles. Releases may just gone.

I will change configuration and waits for results

Best
Piotr

Hey Piotr,

It’s worth testing, but I believe the expected behavior would be that any work items listed in the deployment changes for a release+environment combo would get sent to Jira.

Please let me know how your tests go after you’ve changed the lifecycle and resumed your regular deployments and they’ve populated!

Looking forward to hearing back.

Best,
Jeremy

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.