Long file path issue on Azure Web App Deployment Step

Hi there!

We are trying to deploy an Azure Web App but we are getting a long file path error when the step tries to extract Octopus.Dependencies.AzureCLI.

The version 2.0.45 of the Octopus.Dependencies.AzureCLI tool has not been extracted, it will be extracted automatically.
Running this script in the Octopus Server security context (domain\serviceaccount)
Starting C:\windows\system32\WindowsPowershell\v1.0\PowerShell.exe in working directory ‘D:\OctopusInstances\XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX_XXXXX\Work\20190402214758-25685-767’ using ‘OEM United States’ encoding running as ‘domain\serviceaccount’ with the same environment variables as the launching process
Process C:\windows\system32\WindowsPowershell\v1.0\PowerShell.exe in D:\OctopusInstances\XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX_XXXXX\Work\20190402214758-25685-767 exited with code 0
The specified path, file name, or both are too long. The fully qualified file name must be less than 260 characters, and the directory name must be less than 248 characters.

In this scenario, we are using our Octopus Server as a Worker to deploy an Azure Web App. And as you can see, the Octopus instance name is very long (I have masked the real instance name with X’s but the number of characters is still the same). Is it possible to change the Work folder path to reduce the length? Or are there any other ways to solve this?

Additional information.

Before this, we did an upgrade of our Octopus Servers from v2018.6.5 to v2018.10.5 LTS.

Hi Alex,

Apologies for the delayed response on this one.

At this point the only real answer we have is shortening the name of your Octopus instance, as the path is hardcoded at this point in time. We do have work underway to unbundle the AWS and Azure libraries from Octopus so that you can specify your own, however that will still be a little while away at this point.

Sorry I don’t have better news for you,

Regards,
Alex

I suggest you try Long path tool is the very good program for easily delete, copy & rename long path files, error, unlock solution.
Try it and solve your problem.
I used long path tool and I solve my error, unlock problem solution.