Local Git Cache Exceeding 20GB Error

Hi there, we recently switched to using version controlled projects and it was all working great for a week or so. This morning some of our build workflows started failing when creating releases in Octopus with the error:

Octopus Server returned an error: Unable to perform this operation as the local git cache is using more space than is available as set by the configured limit of 20 GB. Please use a smaller repository or remove any not in use.

I already purged the git cache to buy myself some time, but how can I reconfigure this limit? I looked around and didn’t have any luck finding it. Our mono repo is pretty large and I don’t really want to split the Octopus stuff out to a separate repo as it makes coordinating changes harder.

Hi @ArchonAndrew,

Thanks for reaching out to Octopus Support, and I’m sorry you’re running into this Git cache limit on your Octopus instance.

There is no way to alter this limit within the Octopus UI currently, but we can use an environment variable on your Octopus server to set a new limit.

Assuming your Octopus instance is hosted in Windows, you can access Environment Variables in System Properties.

Once there, you can add the new System Variable (OCTOPUS__Git__CacheFullThresholdMb) with a value greater than the default of 20480 MB.

Once you’ve saved the new variable, you must restart the Octopus service. The service restart will allow the new cache value to be picked up. Please let me know how this works out for you or if you have any other questions for us.

Thanks!
Dan

Thanks Dan, will give that a try!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.