Licencing

Hi

I am new to Octopus.
I am wanting to use it for 3 environments, a total of 7 deployment targets and around 15 projects.

The licence page within octopus says 5 active projects and 10 deployment targets are included with the community licence but when I go to the licence page on your website it is in ‘machines’. I am confused between the two and don’t know if I need a licence or what ‘machines’ translates to in terms of deployment targets, environments and projects.

Appreciate your response

Thanks
Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for getting in touch,

I’m sorry to hear that this has caused you some confusion.

In summary, the Octopus community license will activate upon Trial License expiry (which is attained via the Try for Free option in the pricing area of our website, since the Trial license is unlimited in the number of users/projects & machines it can manage, this is normally used for proof of concept scenarios where hundreds of targets may need to be created/deployed to.

The community license, however, allows an unlimited number of Users and Projects (the same as the trial license restraints) whilst specifically retaining a maximum of 5 Deployment Targets.

Further to this machine limit, the machines that count towards that limit include Tentacle, SSH endpoints and Offline Drops (Cloud Regions are not counted towards the machine limit in your license)

If you would like to immediately begin using the Community Edition instead of going through the Trial phase you can select I want to use the free Community Edition via Configuration > License in the Octopus Portal. (This can avoid some headache as if you create more than 5 targets in the Trial License phase, you would need to retrospectively go back and delete targets to reduce this to a maximum of 5 in order to continue deployments when the Community license takes effect, upon Trial License expiry i,e, 45 days)

To avoid confusion also, the Deployment Targets located on the right below ‘License Usage’ reflects the number of machines currently in use, not what your license is currently capped to, I thought I’d mention this in the event you notice this and are confused by the value.

I hope this helps!

Please let me know if you require any further assistance or clarification :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,

Reece

Hi Reece
Ok, if the community licence includes 5, do I need a licence for 5 machines then? E.g. 5 from the community licence plus 5 from the licence = 10 machines?

Or do I need a licence for 10 machines?

Is there a limit to number of projects with paid licences?

What I ultimately need to know is what licence do I need for 15 - 20 projects and 7 deployment targets?

Thanks
Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for getting back to me,

I’m sorry that this has caused confusion, to clarify;

The community licence allows for 5 deployment targets, however, in the future there are plans to discontinue the Community license for New users, meaning that anyone who was not already on the Community license would need to pay for the 5 deployment targets which is reflected by the 5 deployment targets option listed in the pricing area of our site, I’ve included a link to our blog post below regarding this;

To answer your query more directly, if you needed 10 machines, you would need to purchase the 10 machine license.

For 7 deployment targets you would need to purchase the 10 machine license (this would be ideal as it allows you a little breathing room to add some machines), with all licenses there are no limitations on the number of projects or users, however, as previously mentioned the machines that count towards that limit include Tentacle, SSH endpoints and Offline Drops (Cloud Regions are not counted towards the machine limit in your license)

If 2 or more of the 7 deployment targets you mentioned are Cloud Regions you would only need the 5 license (which is covered in the Community edition)

I hope this helps!

If you require any further information or clarification, please let me know :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,

Reece

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.