Jira issue references not showing in the project release notes

Hello,

I’ve setup the Octopus Deploy plugin in my Jira Cloud and successfully tested the connection. I am using GCP Cloud Build and GitHub for my CICD pipeline. I’m committing a change in GitHub and I include the related Jira issue ID in the commit message, the commit triggers a build that creates a new release for my Octopus Deploy project via the Swagger API we have created. I am able to see my commit message in the release notes of the newly created release however it doesn’t include the link to the related Jira Issue ID.

From the example i’m seeing there should be a link to the related Jira tracking issue. I’m hoping i could get some assistance on what i could be missing in my configuration.

2022.4 (Build 8463)

Hi @mario.najar,

Thank you for reaching out, and sorry to hear you are having trouble getting your JIRA links populated within your release notes in Octopus Deploy, but I would be happy to help take a closer look at things.

As an initial step, can you let me know if you are providing your JIRA issues keys within your commit messages? This is the link that Octopus Deploy will use when mapping things back to JIRA, so I just wanted to get clarification from your side.

We also have a troubleshooting guide for this integration, which includes a few other things to check regarding this linking, which I will link for your reference/review in case you haven’t seen this yet:

I hope this initial information helps, but let me know what you find out in investigating things more.

Best,

Britton

Hi Mario,

Apologies for the double-reply, but I noticed you mentioned you are passing those JIRA issue keys in your commits - sorry for missing that initially.

Hopefully the troubleshooting guide helps dive deeper into this, but let me know what you find out. I know case sensitivity for JIRA issue IDs can be a small gotcha here, so it would be worth confirming this matches across Octopus Deploy/JIRA.

I hope this helps, and looking forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Britton

Yes, im using the jira issue keys. I will review the documentation some more.
I’ve uploaded a few snips with my config and what i have in the release notes.

Hi Mario,

Thank you for the update and screenshots!

In taking a look, the last screenshot looks odd to me in that it doesn’t reference anything in the package section:

From my understanding, Octopus Deploy will read the build information from the package to build out these links in the release notes:

We have some additional information on build information which I will also link for your reference, in case this helps in getting things sorted:

Hopefully this information sheds some light on where things might not be connecting on your side, but let me know what you find out.

Regards,

Britton

Oh perhaps that is my issue, we don’t send any build information to Octopus Deploy. I’m not packaging anything within Octopus Deploy most of my builds create an application image that is sent to an external repository.

Something else I was trying with troubleshooting further is I noticed in the documentation that Jira environment field also needs to match the octopus deploy environments.

Hi Mario,

Yes, it sounds like that’s where the disconnect is here - Octopus Deploy reads that build information on the package dynamically to build out those JIRA links, so without this, you won’t see those links being populated.

If it’s possible, you could push a placeholder package to house your build information so that way this feature is usable, but you’d have to see how this fits into your configuration from both a technical perspective as well as a process/user perspective.

Something else I was trying with troubleshooting further is I noticed in the documentation that Jira environment field also needs to match the octopus deploy environments.

Was this comment in reference to the original issue, or are you having trouble with the Octopus/JIRA environment mapping as well? Let me know and I would be happy to help further, if needed.

I hope this helps, but let me know if I can be of any more assistance.

Best,

Britton

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.