JAR file exceeds 70MB that needs to Octopus

What’s the maximum size of the JAR file that’s allowed to get pushed to Octopus.?
How do we can increase the permissible limit size of the JAR file that can be pushed to Octopus server?

Hi @Anu_K

Thanks for getting in touch!

Are you able to provide some more context around where you are seeing an error with your package getting pushed to Octopus? We don’t set any limits around package sizes, I’ve personally have tested multi-gigabyte packages with no errors on my local instances.

Any information you can provide so that we can assist would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Alex

Thanks for responding back.

I don’t get issues when I am manually uploading the packages onto the octopus server, but I am pushing through Octo CLI, I am getting time out issues.

ZIp File with less MB are getting pushed seamlessly, but with larger size for instance around 100MB has issues.

We are pushing the packages from the continuous integration server i…e, bamboo server to Octopus server through OctoPack command LIne. The stacktrace of the issue is shared below:

Octopus Deploy Command Line Tool, version 4.39.2
Handshaking with Octopus server: https://<octopus_server_name>
Handshake successful. Octopus version: 2018.3.11; API version: 3.0.0
GET https://<octopus_server_name>/api/users/me
Authenticated as: <my_email_id>
Pushing package: <zip_file_1_from_bamboo_server>...
POST https://<octopus_server_name>/api/packages/raw?replace=True

System.TimeoutException: Timeout getting response, client timeout is set to 00:10:00.
   at Octopus.Client.OctopusAsyncClient.<DispatchRequest>d__53`1.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Octopus.Client.OctopusAsyncClient.<Post>d__43`2.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Octopus.Cli.Commands.Package.PushCommand.<Request>d__10.MoveNext()
   at Octopus.Cli.Commands.ApiCommand.<Execute>d__38.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
   at Octopus.Cli.Commands.ApiCommand.<Execute>d__36.MoveNext()
   at Octopus.Cli.CliProgram.Run(String[] args)
Exit code: -3

Failing task since return code of [D:\software\octopus\Octo.exe push --server https://<octopus_server_name>>--apiKey <API_KEY> --replace-existing --debug --package <zip_file_1_from_bamboo_server> --package <zip_file_2_from_bamboo_server> was -3 while expected 0]

Tried increasing the timeout time passed to Octopus CLI, but it didn’t work.

Zip file pushed to Octopus server is encapsulated witha a JAR file which is around 100MB of size

Hi @Anu_K,

This sounds like it may be caused by a networking issue. There is no file limit, so a 100Mb file should be able to be uploaded without any additional permissions or configuration.

As a first step I would recommend updating the Octopus CLI tool to the latest version, which is version 4.41.2 today.

There are also some additional questions we’ll need to answer to try and isolate the underlying cause of the problem:

• At what size does the upload start to fail? You mentioned smaller files will upload OK.
  • Are there any firewalls, proxies or other network devices between the Bamboo server and the Octopus server? These may be causing issues with large file uploads.
  • You mentioned that manual uploads work OK. Were these uploads via the web UI?
  • Can you upload the same 100MB file from another location to the Octopus server using the Octopus CLI? If so, would indicate a networking issue between the Octopus and Bamboo servers.
  • Are there any network interruptions between the Bamboo and Octopus servers when running a continuous ping? This too would indicate networking issues between the Bamboo and Octopus servers.

Regards
Matt C

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.