It seems version rule doesn't work

Hello. I have 3 channels in my setup: Preview, QA and Stable.

Preview has version rule with Pre-release tag “preview”.
QA has version rule with Pre-release tag “alpha”.
Stable has version rule with Pre-release tag “^$”.

Also, I have two process steps which are common for Preview and QA channels (deploy to IIS, target site and other related things are configured in Variables).

Releases are created automatically by CI server with octo.exe.

The problem is, when octo.exe trying to resolve correct channel it gives next output:

There are 2 viable release plans using the provided arguments so we cannot auto-select one. The viable release plans are:
Channel: 'Preview'
  #   Name                                     Version     Source           Version rules          
  --- ---------------------------------------- ----------- ---------------- -----------------------
  1   Deploy to IIS on UAT Target (<site1>)   1-preview   User specified   Range: PASS Tag: PASS  
  2   Deploy to IIS on UAT Target (<site2>)   1-preview   User specified   Range: PASS Tag: PASS  

Channel: 'QA'
  #   Name                                     Version     Source           Version rules      
  --- ---------------------------------------- ----------- ---------------- -------------------
  1   Deploy to IIS on UAT Target (<site1>)   1-preview   User specified   Allow any version  
  2   Deploy to IIS on UAT Target (<site2>)   1-preview   User specified   Allow any version  

The unviable release plans are:
Channel: 'Stable' (this is the default channel)
  --- ---------------------------------------- ----------- ---------------- -----------------------
  1   Deploy to IIS on UAT Target (<site1>)   1-preview   User specified   Range: PASS Tag: FAIL  
  2   Deploy to IIS on UAT Target (<site2>)   1-preview   User specified   Range: PASS Tag: FAIL  
  3   Deploy to IIS on Production (<site1>)   1-preview   User specified   Range: PASS Tag: FAIL  
  4   Deploy to IIS on Production (<site2>)   1-preview   User specified   Range: PASS Tag: FAIL 

Why QA channel resolved as “Allow any version”, if I configured it with “alpha” tag?

Hi Dmitry,

Thanks for getting in touch! I have tried to reproduce your problem but I couldn’t. This is what I’ve done:

1. Process
  2. Channels
  3. Octo.exe

If this doesn’t match your setup then I will need a bit more information so I can get to the bottom of this problem:

• Your deployment process as JSON document. You can get it from the overflow menu.
  • The screenshots of all of your channels, including rules.
  • The full log from your CI server so I can see what parameters are passed to octo.exe
  • Version of Octopus Server and CI Server extension.

I’m happy to make this conversation private if the included data is sensitive.

Regards,

Pawel

Hello, Pawel. As it revealed, QA channel was lacking of pre-realease tag in setup. It worked when I had two channels (Release with ^$ pre-relase tag and QA with no pre-release tag) until I added third one (preview). Sorry for bothering you. Thank you for your help.

No problem and I’m glad you got it working.

Regards,

Pawel

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.