Issue with updated Azure tools on Octopus Server

Good afternoon,

Further to a previous post I made (Intermittent Azure PowerShell Failures), I finally got round to making the changes and I’m having some issues with the given fix.

It was my understanding that, having installed new versions of Azure tools on the Octopus server, these would only be used on an opt-in basis. I.e. I would have to add the variable OctopusUseBundledAzureModules and set its value to False in order for the new tools to be used. However, it appears that the bundled modules are no longer used by any pipelines, irrespective of whether I set this variable or not.

I have added a step to the pipeline that runs az --version and I see the same output whether I have this variable set to True, False or non-existent. Prior to making any of these changes, running the same command showed a different output.

Is this behaviour expected or have I done something wrong?

FYI, Octopus Sever version is 2019.8.5.

Thanks,

Antony

Hey Antony,

Thanks for reaching out.

In my local testing (on version 2020.4.6) I’m not seeing this behavior. When using bundling and run az --version, i get 2.0.50, but when I use the pre-installed and run az --version, I get 2.13.0.

I spun up a local VM with 2019.8.5, and I am definitely seeing the behavior you’re seeing. Whether or not I have that variable, it is showing me 2.13.0, even though the bundled version should be 2.0.50.

I didn’t find any GitHub issues for this specific bug so I’m guessing it got fixed in the process of something in the area being worked on.

As your version is out of the support window for bug fixes, are you able to upgrade to resolve the issue?

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

That’s really useful to know, thanks for doing that investigation.

I’ll feed that information back to the team and see if upgrading is something we can do.

Thanks again for your help.

Antony

Hi Antony,

You’re very welcome.

Please keep in mind, if you go above version 2020.1, you may require a SQL server upgrade depending on your current version of SQL. You can find versioning requirements here: https://octopus.com/docs/installation/requirements#sql-server-database

Please let me know if you have any questions. If you do end up upgrading, please let me know if it fixes it or if you need more help.

I hope you have a great weekend.

Best,
Jeremy

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.