Hello Octopus Support Team!
I’m currently facing an issue with runbooks in Octopus Deploy where multi-line text variables are not being passed completely between user projects and the main engineering team’s runbook.
- Context: We have a setup where the engineering team maintains a runbook with several required variables. One of these variables is a multi-line text variable. For the public-facing parts of our Octopus Server, we have users who initiate a runbook with a single step: “Run Octopus Runbook”. I have then constructed identical variable sets in these user-specific projects.
- Workflow: When a user runs their runbook, they are prompted to enter values for these variables. Once entered, the user-specific project is supposed to pass these variable values to the engineering team’s runbook using the prompted variable values configuration.
- Issue: This process works for all variables except for the multi-line text variable. When a multi-line value is provided, only the top line gets passed.For example: If the input is:
SELECT TOP 10 * FROM Business WHERE Name LIKE '%ABC'
Only “SELECT TOP 10 *” is received by the engineering runbook.
Expected Behavior: All lines of the multi-line variable should be passed to the engineering runbook without truncation or omission.
Actual Behavior: Only the first line of the multi-line variable is being passed.
Impact: This truncation affects the correct execution of the runbook, potentially leading to inaccurate or incomplete processes.
Request: Kindly assist in rectifying this behavior or suggest a workaround that ensures complete multi-line variable values are passed between projects/runbooks.
- Octopus Server Version: v2023.2 (Build 12209)
- Operating System: Windows 11
- Screenshots: [Attach any relevant screenshots that can help in understanding the issue better]
Thank you for your prompt attention to this issue.