Issue saving steps because of brackets []

Currently when we try and save any step we get the following error:

Email summary

The only invalid character that is in there is the following [ and ] Here is the full name Deploy Schema [Table]

Is this meant to be this way because we now can’t update any of our steps for this project.

To add some more details we are running version 3.2.11 and have recently upgraded from 3.1.5.

Hi Brent,

Thanks for getting in touch. I’m really sorry you’ve run into this problem. The [ and ] characters were causing variable expressions that used output variables from steps with brackets in their names to fail without explanation. We added validation to the step names but have since realised we need to provide the ability to repair existing steps the are invalid. It’s an embarrassing oversight on our behalf.

We will be implementing a better solution to this very early in the new year, but in the meantime you can work around it a couple of ways:

• Temporarily install 3.2.2 and fix your step names (removing the [ and ] characters), then upgrade to 3.2.11 (or later). This should be a safe operation, but it always makes sense to do a backup beforehand.
  • Update the step names in your SQL Database directly.

Hope that helps!
Mike

I have just updated this via the api directly for the time being :). Thanks for the input more so just wanted to let you guys know!

Brent Montague
Senior Software Engineer
Sent from my iPhone

Hi Brent,

I know you’ve worked around this issue, and I’m sorry you encountered it in the first place. Just wanted to let you (and others) know we’ll be shipping a fix for this in 3.2.16.

Hope that helps!
Mike

Awesome thanks

Brent Montague
Senior Software Engineer