Is there a way to tell Octopus to consume the variables from an external source instead of the ones on its database?

I would like to consume the variables from an external CMDB instead of the ones on its database. Is it possible?

I need versioning for the variables modifications and have to keep other configurations like firewall in there as well. That is the reason I want to use CMDB as Octopus doesn’t provide it.

Hi @octoadam!

Sadly, this isn’t something that we offer as a built-in feature, but there are a few ways that you can work around this. I should note that we do provide a version of variable versioning, as they’re snapshotted when every release is created, as well as change logging in the audit log inside Octopus.

The first way to do this could be creating an initial step in your deployment to obtain the values, then saving them as output variables in your deployment process. You can then use these for substitution in later steps.

The second way could be to pull down the variables that you need from your CMDB and then generate a new release using Octo.exe create-release with the --variable argument to pass your externally-sourced variable values into the release.

I hope this helps, and please let us know if you have any further questions.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.