Is there a way to change a future step's role (one that is later in a deployment)

I’d like to find a way to change the “target role” on a subsequent task with PowerShell. Is there a way to do this?

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out! There’s no way to change the deployment process in such a way from the deployment itself.

Best regards,
Dalmiro

Here is the use case: I want customers to be enabled to perform a backup from Octopus. The functionality works, the channels allow me to assign variables appropriate to the client for the lone step. The ONLY problem is telling Octopus on what tentacle to do the work. We have a fractured environment with firewalls so the only way to execute a backup is if you’re doing so from an allowed server that has a firewall, so you can’t just pick any tentacle.

I don’t want my clients to have to go into the Octopus project, and make sure the roles, environment and the specific tentacle being run on is correct. I have a feeling you’re telling me I need to give my clients one project per client.

Hi,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’m sorry in the delay replying to you.

I ran this past some of the devs and we have an idea of how you can do this. You would need to configure Tenants for each of your customers. From there, you could scope the required targets to only those Tenants. This will mean that only deployments from those Tenants will go to those targets. You could keep the same steps in the project and configure scoped variables to different Tenants for specific values they may need. This way, each deployment will only involve the machines and variables based on the scoping to a particular Tenant.

We have some great and extensive documentation on Tenants at the following location: http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Designing+a+multi-tenant+hosting+model

Let me know what you think, and again, sorry for the delay in responding to you.

Best regards,

Hi,

Sorry but the link I provided was wrong so I have changed it out for the correct one. I have also linked it here: http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Designing+a+multi-tenant+hosting+model

Best regards,
Daniel

Thanks a bunch! This is the kind of thing that can help a team like ours serve our customers better!

Hi,

No worries at all! Let me know if you run into any issues or have any further questions.

Best regards,
Daniel