IPv6 Support

Does Octopus Deploy Cloud support IPv6?

Hi @cgwatkins,

Thanks for getting in touch, and welcome! Great question, and while I was under the assumption that IPv6 was supported, I brought this question up internally. The best answer I can give currently is that we don’t intentionally block IPv6, however I can’t spot any record of us testing it to confirm one way or another. Were you hitting any specific issues that we could investigate into?

I’m sorry it’s not a super clear answer, but please let me know how you go or if you have any further questions going forward!

Best regards,

Kenny

Thanks for the follow-up.

Essentially in AWS, if you want a 100% private back-end subnet that doesn’t allow inbound traffic, you can either have a) an IPv6 Egress-only internet gateway (free), or b) an IPv4 NAT gateway (small cost per month).

When testing using the IPv6 egress-only internet gateway, I could get to google (they support ipV6) but I couldn’t reach my Octopus cloud instance at https://name_here.octopus.app/

I also noticed that when doing an ipv6 DNS lookup, there’s no AAA record for my cloud instance (maybe this is a glitch and there is supposed to be?). So the browser wasn’t able to lookup the dns record to reach it.

If ipv6 support was tested and works correctly, it would help me reduce AWS expenses and simplify architecture by not needing an AWS NAT gateway.

Note, this would be for tentacles in polling mode.

Thanks.

Hi @cgwatkins,

Thanks for following up! I appreciate the additional information. First up, the no AAAA records on your cloud instance is in fact expected. We don’t have any IPv6 addresses used in Octopus Cloud.

Additionally, on reaching out to the cloud-specific team internally, it looks like this is unfortunately hitting on a limitation as there’s no IPv6 support in AKS:

I’m sorry it’s not the news you were after, but please let us know if you have any follow-up questions or concerns.

Best regards,

Kenny

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.