Integration with Jira

Hello,

Can you integrate Octopus with Jira? If not, do you have plans to do it?

Regards,
Steve

Hi Steven,

Thanks for getting in touch! Currently we do not have any plans for Jira integration, as it isn’t specifically part of the deployment process. Are you after ways to merge in release notes or link to a deployment from a project? There are some community resources of people performing similar tasks:

(Script to generate release notes for OD that contain GitHub commits and Jira issues)

Sorry if this is not the answer you were looking for but if you could provide me with a bit more information on how you would like Octopus to integrate with Jira I may be able to give you a better answer.

Regards,
Daniel

I believe bamboo deployments have a way of being reported into JIRA so that we can see what versions are in each environment from the JIRA envrionment

I’ve used Powershell + JIRA API to e.g. transition issues included in a specific release version, so that when I deploy version 1.2.3 to UAT then all tickets assigned to that version get transitioned to Ready For Testing; then when I promote that deployment to Production, then those tickets get transitioned to Released.

It would be nice to get the level of integration that Bamboo offers, which would allow you to track in JIRA what state the ticket has got to in the deployment process.

I’ve written a short blog post about the template [http://davidkeaveny.blogspot.com.au/2017/03/writing-plugins-for-octopus.html], and linked to the source code for it; maybe if I find the time to polish it up a bit more (particularly in terms of error handling), it can be submitted to the community library.

Hi David,

Thanks for your contribution here! We look forward to seeing the template on the community library!. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Daniel

I’ve forked the repository (https://github.com/davidkeaveny/Library) and moved my code changes there, and brought them a bit more in line with the guidelines. I’ll submit a pull request when I’ve had a chance to test the changes, but if anyone is really keen, they can just import the template from source.

How do you go about assigning a custom logo to the step template? Can it only be done to categories? It would be nice to have the JIRA logo on the step template.

Hi David,

The way our icons/logs work for the templates is per category. For example, all templates in the windows category will get the windows logo, etc. There is a file in the root directory for the libraries repository named CONTRIBUTING.md. This directory has detailed information on the steps required to contribute to the Library, including information on adding a icon/logo.
Here is a link: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Library/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

If you add a new category, make sure that you add an icon in .png format with a size of 200x200px to the logos folder with the same name as your category.

So if there is no JIRA category already there, you can add one and add an icon for it.

Let me know if that helps.

Best regards,
Daniel