Initial deployment of windows service fails

I was migrating and existing service to a new server and it kept erroring in the Octopus.Features.WindowsService_AfterPreDeploy.ps1 script.

Here is the error:

Resolve-Path : Cannot find path ‘C:\Program Files (x86)…exe’ because it does not exist.
At C:\Octopus.Tentacle\Octopus.Tentacle\2.2.1.1261_1\Scripts\Octopus.Features.
WindowsService_AfterPreDeploy.ps1:26 char:25

• $fullPath = Resolve-Path <<<< $executablePath
    • CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (C:\Program File…exe:String) [Resolve-Path], ItemNotFoundException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ResolvePathCommand
      Script ‘C:\Octopus.Tentacle\Octopus.Tentacle\2.2.1.1261_1\Scripts\Octopus.Features.WindowsService_AfterPreDeploy.ps1’ returned non-zero exit code: 1. Deployment terminated.

I ended up creating a dummy file name after my executable in the program files dir, and then it worked. Is this a known issue? Is there some setting I should be setting differently? I tried it with both purging the directory on and off.

Hi,

Could you email the full deployment log and a screenshot of the step configuration to me? paul at octopusdeploy.com.

Thanks,

Paul

Thanks for all the detailed information David, I’ve found the bug and will fix it and release a fix today.

Paul

Windows service deployment get failed. please find the attached deployment log file for your perusal.

ServerTasks-210.log.txt (7 KB)

Hi Ayan,

Thanks for getting in touch! In the log, there’s this error:

Resolve-Path : Cannot find path ‘D:\Octopus\Applications\Staging\IGLSAcknowledgement\1.0.0.0_2\IGLSAcknowledgement.exe’ because it does not exist.

When you configured the Windows Service step, you specify the path to the executable inside the package. I’m guessing there is either a typo or the executable is actually in a sub folder. Can you remote desktop to the machine and check if the executable file does exist?

Hope that helps!

Paul

I’m having a similar problem. The .exe doesn’t exist, because it hasn’t been deployed yet.

Also, the software insists on create a directory with the environment on my server that is inside that environment. Is there a way to override that behavior.

Hi Steve,

We’ll need some more info to work out what is going on here. Can you attach or email us a full deployment log? http://docs.octopusdeploy.com/display/OD/Get+the+raw+output+from+a+task

You can change the directory by using the custom installation directory feature (go to your package step, then click Features, then choose custom installation directory). Hope that helps,

Paul