Increased Control Over Package Indexing

I’m looking for some guidance as to how to better manage the package indexing process. We have a number of teams in different time zones that use Octopus and we are receiving reports that occasionally deployment tasks are being queued behind the indexing task until it’s complete. Considering indexing takes approximately 5 hours, this is problematic. We’re starting to look into why it’s taking so long; however in the mean time, we’d like to execute indexing only when we want to (during scheduled maintenance windows). Any suggestions as to how to do this? Thanks.

Also, are there any potential negative side effects of just killing the job?

Hi @snaulls,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on these questions.

Unfortunately we currently don’t have any way of scheduling maintenance tasks on Octopus, however this is something that we are planning on being able to do as part of our planned Operations Processes feature, however that is at least 6 months away from being production ready.

In the meantime you can kill the task as required, as long as it’s able to run to completion at semi-regular intervals you won’t have any problems.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with!

Regards,
Alex

Thanks Alex. Looking forward to the operations features being released.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.