Improved dashboards

Hi

When you starting thinking about dashboard changes, please consider a view that makes it easy to see what version a tenant is on in each environment for a particular project. We’re currently using environments-as-tenants - the current dashboard gives great visibility to this information which is an important feature of Octopus for us. I’d imagine this is less important for customers with hundreds of tenants, but for us with around 50 (early potentially on a different version) it really is useful.

I’ve attached an example, sorry it’s not as pretty as your wireframes!

dashboard.JPG

Hi George,

Thanks for keeping the conversation going! We have done some more detailed planning for dashboards in 3.4. We are considering “task” or “purpose” driven dashboards that would let you pivot certain axes:

1. Grouped/Overview-style: like the RFC. In this case the Project would be locked and you could show Release/Environment or Release/Tag-Set.

1. Upgrade-style: again, like the RFC. In this case the Project would be locked, and you could show Tenant/Release or Channel/Release.

1. Sparse-style: this is basically like you’re suggesting, where the Project is locked, and you can show either Channel/Environment or Tenant/Environment. Just to compete on badness of mockups, here’s a photo of our whiteboard conversation… :slight_smile:

We are going to discuss this in more detail on Monday AEST, so I’ll let you know how we go.

Hope that helps!
Mike

Did you make any decisions regarding this?

Hi George,

We did end up revisiting the dashboards, and realised we (I) had made a mistake and not fully realised the impact on the dashboards when we moved from RFC 1 (groups of environments) to RFC 2 (tenants first-class) which introduced a 3rd dimension. After realising this we’ve redesigned and simplified the dashboards significantly by flattening them to 2 dimensions allowing filtering, whilst maintaining all of the benefits from before.

Here’s some screenshots from the mockups and work in progress.

Unfiltered global dashboard

Filtered global dashboard

Project tenant dashboard unfiltered

Project tenant dashboard filtered

Project tenant dashboard for specific release - great for upgrading

Work in progress

Public file shared from https://slack.com/

Hope that helps!
Mike

Looks great. Cheers.

Hi Mike,

Looks really good and I can’t wait to test these out.

One question in regards to the Unfiltered global dashboard. What happens to the release number shown when you have tenants in an environment at different releases? Does it just show the latest? Would it be better to have some indication of release differences? Then as your mockup shows it links to the filtered tenant dashboard but perhaps not filtering on a particular release number so you can see the different releases deployed?

Cheers,
Blair.

Hi Blair,

Thanks for the feedback. :slight_smile:

We have been playing with ideas for the global dashboard, showing the full gamut of releases that are deployed to all tenants in the group, like 3.2.4-3.2.7, but to report that accurately ends up with a much more expensive query. Instead we are planning to show a set of UI elements that say You are 35% of the way through upgrading the 56 tenants in this group to 3.2.7, and so far everything is looking great!. Now if you want to see the full range of versions for all your tenants, you can go to the project overview.

Hope that helps!
Mike

Hi,

Both George and I have made some comments on the EAP beta page in regards to dashboards. Posting a link from here so that they are not missed from beta feedback.

Cheers,
Blair.

Thanks Blair,

I replied over on the blog post also. :slight_smile:

Hope that helps!
Mike