Impossible to create service endpoint in Azure DevOps

Hi,

I try to create a service endpoint for Octopus Deploy in Azure DevOps.
But it doesn’t work, it say invalid api key, but the same api key work in local.
After some search I found that if I use the browser to create the service endpoint the api key posted is truncated (the last 3 characters are missing).
So I tried to use the az devops cli, I got the following error message :
The String length exceeds maximum limit.
Parameter name: endpoint.Authorization.Parameters[apitoken]
The max length seem to be 32 characters, but the api key length is 35 characters.
Are you aware of this issue ?

Thanks

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for getting in touch!

I’ve taken a look at this and my current API key was only 31 characters, but when I generate a new one it is 36 as you’re seeing.

Would you be able to confirm what version of Octopus you are currently using? It feels like this might be a change that has been made recently.

Regards,
Paul

Hi Paul,

Sorry, I forgot to mention that, I just migrated to the cloud version, that why I need to recreate the connection.
The version is 2020.6.0-rc0001.

Thanks for confirming, I had a feeling that was the case.

I generated 10 keys on 2020.6.0 and the lowest I got was 33 characters, the average was 35.
The same test on 2020.5.5 and the highest I got was 31 characters, the average 27.

Definitely seems that we have created an issue here, I’m going to raise it with our engineers to investigate further. With this being a Cloud instance they should hopefully be able to get a fix applied relatively quickly.

I did notice that there is a new feature in 2020.6.0 where you can set an expiry date on the API key. I’m wondering if that is creating the additional characters.

Unfortunately, I can’t suggest any workarounds for this at the moment.

Ok, no problem I can wait, I will continue to use the previous on premise instance for now.
Thanks for your quick and detailed response.

1 Like

Hi Kevin,

A new version of our plugin for Azure DevOps should now be available to download, this increases the max character limit for the API key.

Regards,
Paul

Hi Paul,

I confirm that the update fixed the issue.

Thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.