IIS Deploy Step - Application Pool setup

Is there a way to just mention the Application Pool name and skip the steps to setup the Identity ? I am custom service accounts for the identity and the passwords will be managed by Secret Server and secret server will push the password to IIS whenever there is a change in the password. I don’t want to maintain the passwords in Octopus deploy since it will be rotated frequently by secret server.

HI Manmohan,

Thanks for getting in touch! Apologies for the delay in getting back to you on this one.

Unfortunately at this point in time we have no way of integrating an external identity provider at this level into Octopus. It may be worthwhile to log a uservoice requesting this level of integration so that we can gauge community interest and potentially add it to our roadmap.

For now one option that might be suitable in this case is to use our standard Deploy a package step instead of the Deploy to IIS step. You can still use the IIS Step to perform the initial creation of the website, however this will allow you to deploy your application to the correct file system directory where your website resides (via the Custom Install Directory option) without changing any details in IIS itself.

The other option, which I haven’t fully checked on, is that it may be possible to use our API to push username/password updates into your IIS deployment project in Octopus. This would be ideal however would require some manual scripting to link your Secrets provider and Octopus together.

I hope that helps, please let me know if there is anything else that I can assist with,

Regards
Alex

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.