IIS App - Update Property property names and values

I’ve got a web application installed by a previous Octopus step but I need to set the Require SSL checkbox for this application. I’m trying to use the community step “IIS App - Update Property” and it asks for:

• Web Site Name
  • Application Name
  • Name of the property to set
  • Value of the property to set

How do I find out what the name of the property is and what the acceptable values are? I’m searching all over but obviously I’m looking for the wrong thing or looking in the wrong places.

Hi @jsidoti,

Thanks for getting in touch! I think the property/value to require SSL in this step would be name = sslflags and value = Ssl (referencing the following Microsoft doc page).

Alternatively, I found a Stackoverflow thread where someone provided a script to set the require SSL field on a website, which you could possibly throw into a custom deployment script of your IIS step. :slight_smile:

I hope that helps! Let me know how you go or if you have any further questions going forward.

Best regards,

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for the reply. I had tried the name=sslflags and value=Ssl but it complained something about not recognizing the ‘sslflags’ property. I’ll revisit this.

I did finally locate an example to work from by locating another community step template that includes the option to set the Require SSL checkbox (IIS Application - Create). As I am deploying to a diverse set of servers I can’t rely on a particular environment, making things a little more challenging :slight_smile:

Thanks for the links and suggestions.

Hi @jsidoti,

Thanks for following up! Great to hear that other step template has this option. Looking at the source code of it, it looks like it’s in this section.

if ($requireSSL -ieq "True")
    {
        Write-Output "Require SSL enabled: $requireSSL"
        Set-WebConfiguration -value "Ssl" -filter "system.webserver/security/access" -location $parentSite/$virtualPath -PSPath IIS:\\ 

You can modify the source code of any installed community step template, create a copy and use that in your process if that helps. :slight_smile:

Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or concerns going forward!

Best regards,

Kenny

Yes, that’s the spot I took inspiration from! I pulled out the bits that I needed and just used that in a step that runs custom PowerShell.

Thanks for the feedback!

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

That sounds great, thanks for letting me know and you’re more than welcome. :slight_smile:

Don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or concerns in the future!

Best regards,

Kenny