How to use "Deploy release step" to trigger deployment asyncroniously - without waiting for child deployment result

Hi Guys,

I am reaching out with a question regarding trigering automatic deployment of a “child” project from a “parent” project using the Deploy release step. The problem is - I do not want the step to “wait for the outcome of the triggered child deployment” - I want to use be “fire & forget” as I do not want the parent deployment to wait the child deployment result because: 1. take too long to run tests & 2. I do not want parent deployment success to be dependent of child deployment success!

Is this possible, I read the docs but I hope I have not missed something…?

Some more context to my question since there might be a better way of implementing my requirement:

• I have a TC build that triggeres a deployment of “parent” project into CI environment. This also may create a Release in a child project as normally new Acceptance test package version is also pushe to the Octopus internal repo.
  • Last step is a “Deploy child project release step” that triggers deployment if release is not deployed already; The child project release version number is taken from the Acceptance test package.

My problem with this setup is that I do not want the parent deployment to wait for the outcome of the child deployment and I found no setting to change this behaviour?

I am planning to use a script step with API call in place of the “Deploy release step” so I can ignore the triggered child deployment result…

Am I missing something…?

Many Thanks,
Emil

Hi Emil,

Have you by chance looked into the Community Step called Chain Deployment? This will let you kick off a release from another project and has a wide array of parameters you can set, including when you want the release to happen.

Let me know if Chain Deployment looks like it will be a fit for you. If it’s not a good fit for your use case, we can try and come up with another solution.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Hey Jeremy,

the Chain deployment step solves all my problem indeed :ok_hand:

It is very rich on features and options - I wish I checked it out in detail before post my question :blush:

Thakns,
Emil

Hi Emil,

No worries! That’s what we’re here for. I’m glad it’s a good solution for you. Please feel free to reach out any time.

Thanks,
Jeremy

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.