How to prompt popup/form with a input field to enter value during deployment steps

Hello,

We have requirement to prompt a input field with some default value and user can update value in deployment process steps. And value entered in input field should used in another steps. Please let me know how we can achieve this steps.

Thanks
Sanoj

Hi Sanoj,

Thanks for getting in touch. I may need some further information about your requirements here, though I think you should be able to use Prompted Variables during your deployment to achieve this.

You can configure a prompted variable to contain a default value with an option to override this value at deployment time. Any steps in your project which use the prompted variable will obtain the new value if you specify one or fall back to the default you define.

Does this look like what you are after here?

If this is not quite what you are after, you will need to provide some further information about how your project is configured and what you need to achieve here.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your help on this, Actually we have two steps where we want to wait for user input manually through input filed before proceeding to next step. Prompted Variables can’t fulfill our requirement because we want prompt to appear after deployment start but during deployment steps processing.

I tried Manual Intervention template but we need to set default value in ‘Notes’ filed when Notes filed render.

Please let me know if you need any more detail and suggest me your idea to implement this functionality.

Thanks
Sanoj

Hi Sanoj,

Octopus generally regards a release as read only. There are no options to alter or define variables during a deployment. A prompted variable is the exception as it allows you to set a variable value after release creation but just before you deploy.

So unfortunately, you won’t be able to achieve what you are after here with editing variable values during your deployment. The idea is that each release is regarded as a source of truth for what is being deployed and what exists on your targets.

As deployments in Octopus are designed to be an automated process, perhaps I can help you resolve the underlying issue you are trying to resolve, removing the need to modify your deployment after it has started.

If you could provide some information about your goal and requirement for changing the deployment midway through, I may be able to help you configure Octopus to better meet your needs.

Let me know what you think.

Best regards,
Daniel

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.