How to nuget package of static website on TFS 2017 by using Octopus?

Hi Team,

Our product team provide pre-compiled code us and we have to add as existing website to blank solution in solution explorer. As per business requirement sometimes we have also add new page (aspx and aspx.cs). Sometimes we have to write server side code on aspx page only. Please let me know us how to create package for such website.

Regards,
Ayan

Hi Ayan,

Thanks for reaching out again (and for your time in today’s call). The extension I was talking to you about is this one: https://octopus.com/docs/guides/use-the-team-foundation-build-custom-task#installing-the-extension

Once you install it, you’ll have a couple of new steps to add to your build definition.

Since you are building a static website that doesn’t go through MSBuild, you will need to take a different approach than Octopack. You will need to add a dedicated step to Package your application, and then another step to Push the package.

Step to package the app: https://octopus.com/docs/guides/use-the-team-foundation-build-custom-task#UsetheTeamFoundationBuildCustomTask-package-application-stepAddaPackageApplicationstep . Here you’ll need to be very specific about the location in disk of your website once the buildserver downloads the code.

Step to push the package: https://octopus.com/docs/guides/use-the-team-foundation-build-custom-task#UsetheTeamFoundationBuildCustomTask-push-packages-stepAddaPushPackage(s)toOctopusStep

Hope that helps,
Dalmiro

Thanks Dalmiro, Will go through the links provided by you in above post and will get back to you in next couple of days.

Regards,
Ayan

Hi Dalmiro,

Link you have mentioned above to package for app: https://octopus.com/docs/guides/use-the-team-foundation-build-custom-task#UsetheTeamFoundationBuildCustomTask-package-application-stepAddaPackageApplicationstep. It seems screen cast mentioned in that link belongs to VSTS and we are using TFS only. I would request you to provide link or steps to create package for static website that doesn’t go through MSBuild.

Step to push package to Octopus feed. Thanks

Regards,
Ayan

Hi Dalmiro,

I would like to highlight you here that we are using TFS version as 2017 and Build controller has been configured in TFS 2015 which is in different server. As per the guidelines we have installed that extension on TFS 2015 server. As we are unable to configure XAML Build in TFS 2017 server due to deprecated in TFS 2017 version. However, as per MS recommends to install and configure TFS 2015 XAML build controllers and agent on separate server and then run the build configuration server wizard, point the build server to TFS2017 collection. However, we are following the same steps so far. FYR : https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/12d1c447-3e75-4ce9-8002-b34c26f3a769/configured-xaml-build-server-depreciated-in-tfs-2017how-to-configure-with-tfs-2017?forum=tfsadmin

I have already download the “octopusdeploy.octopus-deploy-build-release-tasks-2.0.63” version and installed on the Build Controller server (TFS 2015 update 2.1) and pointed to the below collection and project.

Thanks,
Ayan

Hi Ayan,

Dalmiro is away for a couple of weeks, so I’ll pick this up for him. I wasn’t on the call with you, so hopefully I’ve picked up the right things from the history here!

The build and release tasks in that extension will only work with the new builds - not with XAML builds. If I’m reading your reply correctly, you’re using the new build definitions.

Assuming you’re using the new build engine, the best way to package your application for Octopus is to use the Pack step provided by the extension. If you can supply the folder with your build output, it will package the contents into a zip or nuget file. The files don’t have to have come from MSBuild - they can come from anywhere - you just need to be able to tell the step where they are.

If you’re not using the new build engine, and you’re still using XAML builds, this extension will not help you. If your build definition uses MSBuild, you can use the OctoPack tool. If you’re not using MSBuild, then you may need to package the files using the octo.exe tool as a post-build step.

Are you able to share some more detail or screenshots of where you are at the moment and what you need to do for your next steps?

Thanks,
Damian

Hi Damian,

We need to create Nuget package of website which doesn’t have a project file. The Nuget package should contain published code (without .aspx.cs page). We add blank solution first in solution explorer of VS 2013 IDE and then add website to that blank solution file as a existing website.

We have discussed about this requirement with Dalmiro and he suggested creating package with Octopack will not going to work here. Therefore he advice those above link as mentioned top of the page.

Request you to suggest us how to create Nuget package of an webiste which doesn’ t have a project file (.csproj)

I would be more comfortable to discuss with you about this issue, if you can set a call.

Thanks,
Ayan

Hi Ayan,

I believe Vanessa has responded to your question in another channel.

Just to summarize - you’ll need to use the octo.exe tool to package your website for Octopus.

Damian

Hi,

As suggested by you earlier octo.exe tool is not going to work in our case to publish and to deploy static website in windows machine through TFS and octopus deployment tool.

An update, now we have successfully resolve all those issues related to static website built in .NET framework.

Steps to resolve the above issue:

1. Currently we are using TFS web portal to create build definition, previously we were using xaml based build definition.
  2. Through TFS service end point we added two templates package creation and push package to Octopus.
  3. In TFS Build definition we have passed two argument that Dalmiro suggested.

Ayan