How to create a release version with "Package number and an incremental number with it""

Hi Team,

I am trying to create a release version by “Package number.incremental number”.
my package number is “4.3.56” so my release number should be “4.3.56.1” for first release and for second release it should be as “4.3.56.2”… so on.

So i have referred release versioning concept and tried couple of those but it didnt work out, i even tried creating a channel with number 4.3 and set a design rule to accept only 4.3 packages, and followed “#{Octopus.Version.Channel.LastMajor}.#{Octopus.Version.Channel.LastMinor}.#{Octopus.Version.LastPatch}.#{Octopus.Version.NextRevision}”, but even this didnt work out.

Can you please suggest a way so that my release version will be as “pacakgenumber.incrementalnumber”, which will be very helpful for our setup.

I can see that in above image, we can set release versioning by using the package used in the process.
but if we try to create a second release on the same environment it will throw an error stating “Release number already exists”, which is expected, so to avoid this there should be an incremental number following the package number.

As we can select the release versioning by selecting the package number, there might be a back end variable which is being used to resolve this value, something like this “$OctopusParameters[“Octopus.Action[$stepname].Package.PackageVersion”]”, where i can add a simple “i” after that variable.

i even tried the above variable “#{$OctopusParameters[“Octopus.Action[DeploySTR].Package.PackageVersion”]}.i”, like this which was of no use

It will be very helpful, if a solution to this provided.

Thanks,
Shaik Sadiq

Hi Shaik,

Thanks for getting in touch! Unfortunately, we do not have a method for doing this. Currently when using the option to Use the version number from an included package there is no way to supply an additional tag/identifier including and incremented version.

I don’t this this is something we currently have any plans to build. I think the best option would be to check out our UserVoice Suggestions page. We use UserVoice to gauge community support for new ideas and features. If a suggestion gathers enough support we can look into options around how we can build the feature.

If you have any further questions or thoughts here, please don’t hesitate to let me know.

Best regards,

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.