How do you provide new line character in release notes when creating release from TeamCity

Hello there,

I am using the TeamCity REST API to save the source control changes into a release notes file. But I have a problem with the newline and the tab characters. I checked the created file and it looks fine in notepad or notepad++ as well - it has the neccessary control characters. However, when the release is created in Octopus, the control characters are missing when I check the release Octopus.
I’ve just read the article below and it says it should be OK. But for me it’s not.
http://help.octopusdeploy.com/discussions/questions/3521-how-do-you-provide-new-line-character-in-release-notes-when-using-octoexe

I am using Octopus 2.6.3.0. What did I do wrong?

Thanks, Bela

Forgot to mention that I use the --releasenotesfile switch when creating release from TeamCity.

Hi Bela,

Thanks for reaching out. It should work indeed. Could you send me an example of your release notes file with some content so i can test on my end?

Thanks!

Dalmiro

Hi Dalmiro,

Please find an example file attached.

Thanks, Bela

tfschanges.txt (118 Bytes)

Additional info: release notes are flattened when checking the project overview (see attached overview.jpg) but it’s fine when I click a specific release and then on “edit this release” (see edit.jpg).

Regards, Bela

Hi Bela,

Thanks for the screenshots. You need to put an entire extra line between each line of text. Check the attached image to see how would the release notes look like if I use a file with this content

This is the first line

This is the second line

This is the third line
This is the fourth line

Hope that helps!

Dalmiro

Hello Dalmiro,

New lines now work like charm. However, tab characters are still missing and double tabs did not help, but I can live without them.

Thanks, Bela

Hi Bela,

I’m so sorry i forgot to mention that we use Markdown syntax for the release notes. Check Mardown’s documentation to see how to format text properly

http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax

Thanks!

Dalmiro