How do I Transfer a Project to a Different Space?

I have upgraded my server this morning to 2019.1.5 to attempt to make use of spaces.

There are several projects within the default space that I’d like to move out of them to a different space without having to go through the huge effort of recreating them.

Is it possible via the API or some other hidden menu item to accomplish this task?

1 Like

I also would like to know how to migrate/move/transfer objects from the default space to the newly created spaces. Even if not possible, it would be great to get a small clarification on the migration path here.

Hi @Zoren_Manteuffel & @henrikg,

Thanks for getting in touch! Currently we are working on the ability to clone/copy data between Spaces. This functionality is important to a lot of people using Spaces but as of yet we do not have any good solution for it.

Currently the only solution is to manually re-create your projects in the desired Space. Unfortunately, I can not provide any kind of ETA for this functionality. All I can say is that we are working on it and will be releasing more information as it’s available. :slight_smile:

Let me know if you have any further thoughts our questions here.

Best regards,
Daniel

2 Likes

Daniel,

Thank you for getting back to me. I’ll keep everything in the default space for now.

I have 2 questions:

1. Is it possible to have the same machine registered within 2 spaces?
  2. Why is the cap for the total number of spaces you can create without additional licensing set to 3? That feels unusually low.

Hi @Zoren_Manteuffel,

Yes you are able to have the same machine registered twice between two different spaces. However, each machine will count towards your licenses machine cap.

Spaces are designed to be a hard boundary, built for different teams to be able to deploy to different targets independently inside the same Octopus instance.

Regarding the number of spaces available to create. Standard licenses are limited to three spaces whilst Data Centre licenses allow for unlimited spaces. The Spaces feature was primarily designed to address scalability issues customers were encountering with very large instances of Octopus.

If you have any further thoughts or questions here, don’t hesitate to let me know. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Daniel

Thank you for your help. I don’t have any further questions at this time.

1 Like

Dan, we’re also disappointed in the limit of 3 for self-hosting. It feels strange because the customer is taking the burden off of Octopus Deploy by hosting it ourselves, yet Cloud allows unlimited. This is additionally frustrating because Spaces is not just convenience for large teams: Spaces solves at least one major issue. Spaces solves the issue where a single deployment target can be a mix of environments for one project, and a different mix of environments for another project. Before Spaces this wasn’t possible.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.