Get variables from AWS via awscli

feature
(Carmine Fabrizio) #1

Hi there, what we are trying to achieve is a bit tricky, I’ll try to explain as much clarity as possible.
We have a process that invokes an AWS CloudFormation template (JSON), unfortunately, we can only configure the Parameters as static, so it means that the end-user should be aware of the AWS resources available that he can or cannot use.
Example: If a team needs to deploy a new Subnet, they need to know the range/subnets available right?
so here my question, Can I create a variable that invokes a command like aws ec2 describe-vpcs, and it fills automatically a drop-down menu?
with Jenkins, I was able to do it with a groovy script, but honestly, on Octopus I have no idea, any help will be appreciated.

(Michael Richardson) #3

Hi Carmine,

The short answer is this is not possible.

Were you looking to set these up as prompted variables in Octopus?
If so, the best I can suggest is to use to the Description field on the prompted variable to explain to users how to obtain the valid values, possibly even supplying a URL. And you could then validate the value supplied as part of your deployment process.

I realize this isn’t the answer you were hoping for.

Regards,
Michael

(Carmine Fabrizio) #4

Morning Michael,
Thanks for the prompt reply, I got your idea, but unfortunately it goes a bit far on what we were planning to do.

Do you know if the octopus team will release a feature about it ?

Thanks

(Carmine Fabrizio) #5

Hi again, I’m trying to pass some variables via JSON but I’m having a problem, I’ve created Project Variables

and I’m trying to invoke a deploy via API, and trying to pass all the variables that I need, this is the JSON

https://octopus/api/deployments

{
  "ProjectId":"Projects-327",
  "EnvironmentID":"Environments-1",
  "ReleaseID": "Releases-52420", 
  "Variables": [
        {
            "Name": "AWS-STACK-NAME",
            "Value": "TEST-DEPLOY",
            "Description": null,
            "Scope": {},
            "IsEditable": true,
            "Prompt": {
                "Label": "AWS-STACK-NAME",
                "Description": "",
                "Required": false,
                "DisplaySettings": {
                    "Octopus.ControlType": "SingleLineText"
                }
            },
            "Type": "String",
            "IsSensitive": false
        },

but octopus returns this error

Running the step as the AWS user cf_user_test

July 17th 2019 16:30:33

Error

Amazon.CloudFormation.AmazonCloudFormationException: 1 validation error detected: Value ‘Specify the Stack Name’ at ‘stackName’ failed to satisfy constraint: Member must satisfy regular expression pattern: [a-zA-Z][-a-zA-Z0-9]* —> Amazon.Runtime.Internal.HttpErrorResponseException: The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request. —>

So it looks like I’m not passing the correct parameter, any idea?

thanks for the help

(Michael Richardson) #6

Hey Carmine,

That’s not quite the right way to pass prompted variables when creating a deployment. They actually get supplied in the FormValues property of the deployment, which holds name-value pairs. This gist should provide an example.

Regarding your earlier question, to be honest this isn’t on our current roadmap. I will raise your suggestion with the team though.

I hope that helps! Let me know if that doesn’t get you there.

(Carmine Fabrizio) #7

Thanks for the help!