FTP Deploy fails if subfolder has no read / write access

Hi,

Our FTP deployments are failing (it seems) because a subfolder of the target deploy directory is marked as read/write denied for the FTP account Octopus is using.

For example:

/MyWebsite
/App_Code
/App_Data [the FTP account has no read/write access to this folder]
/bin
/css

Even though our NuGet package doesn’t contain an /App_Data folder, Octopus still gives us this error when we try to deploy:

2014-09-15 11:26:43.2390 ERROR Captive thread 5a143416-daab-45b2-aec4-42dd171ea81c exited with an error
EnterpriseDT.Net.Ftp.FTPException: Access is denied. (code=550)
at EnterpriseDT.Net.Ftp.FTPTask.r4M6UXrqub()
at YCI9u27a1oMu68GXnaS.OFnVm47SuspJNvpIdPM.uoCtiI730uhppJYuAkP.get_ReturnValue()
at YCI9u27a1oMu68GXnaS.OFnVm47SuspJNvpIdPM.LIVb42QLjtN(IAsyncResult )
at YCI9u27a1oMu68GXnaS.OFnVm47SuspJNvpIdPM.r1rb4k9V5sa(FTPSyncRules , String , String )
at EnterpriseDT.Net.Ftp.ExFTPConnection.Synchronize(String localDirectory, String serverDirectory, FTPSyncRules syncRules)
at Octopus.Tentacle.Integration.Ftp.FtpSynchronizer.SynchronizationSession.Execute() in y:\work\refs\heads\master\source\Octopus.Tentacle\Integration\Ftp\FtpSynchronizer.cs:line 89
at Octopus.Tentacle.Integration.Ftp.FtpSynchronizer.Synchronize(FtpSynchronizationSettings settings) in y:\work\refs\heads\master\source\Octopus.Tentacle\Integration\Ftp\FtpSynchronizer.cs:line 16
at Octopus.Tentacle.Procedures.Implementations.Ftp.FtpUploadProcedure.Upload(ProcedureState state, CancellationToken cancel) in y:\work\refs\heads\master\source\Octopus.Tentacle\Procedures\Implementations\Ftp\FtpUploadProcedure.cs:line 69
at Pipefish.Async.CaptiveThread1.ThreadAction(Action2 action, Guid operationId, IActivitySpace space, Guid captiveThreadId) in y:\work\3cbe05672d69a231\source\Pipefish\Async\CaptiveThread.cs:line 114

When we give the FTP account read/write access to this directory - everything goes fine. Unfortunately, we’re in a locked down environment and this isn’t going to be a solution for us.

Can anyone offer any help, please?

Thanks,
Chris.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting in touch! So the crappy news is this is a limitation of our FTP process. We are working on better solutions but they are not going to be ready anywhere near soon enough to help you.
Would WebDeploy https://library.octopusdeploy.com/#!/step-template/actiontemplate-web-deploy-publish-website-(msdeploy) be a possible alternative for you?

Sorry it isn’t better news.
Vanessa

Hi Vanessa,

Thanks for getting back to me!

WebDeploy might work for us, so I’ll check it out. Is there any way to tell Octopus to ignore folders on the target server? This could also solve it, but I haven’t seen anywhere to configure anything like this.

Thanks again,
Chris.

Hi Chris,

Not a problem. Unfortunately it’s limitations are quite expansive - one of those being you cannot configure folders to ignore.
My fingers are crossed that WebDeploy will work for you.

Vanessa