Feature Suggestion: Support for GitOps in RunBooks via New Trigger Type

Adding another trigger type to RunBooks would enable support for the GitOps style of Kubernetes administration.

The type of trigger would be a source control trigger. (This is very common in autobuild systems.) Basically they come in two flavors: Polling and Listening. Polling just regularly asks the Source Control System if it has changes in the scope it is monitoring. Listening is more complex, but it involves a webhooks, sockets or some other way for the Source Control System to notify the trigger that a change has occurred. (Polling is easier and would work great for this feature suggestion.)

GitOps is a fairly big deal in the Kubernetes world. Adding the ability to have what is checked into my Operations Git repository reflected automatically in my Kubernetes clusters (via a trigger to run my runbooks) would be a win for Octopus Deploy.

Hi OctopusSchaff,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

This is a great suggestion. I’d recommend posting it to https://octopusdeploy.uservoice.com/ where other users can vote on it. It may then be considered for future implementation.

In the meantime it might be possible to approximate the ‘listening’ behaviour using our API. Anything that can be done using our web interface can be done using the API so if the source control system can make the appropriate calls then this could work well. You can find out more about the API below:

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Charles

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.