Faulty email address in the user invite fails to the server error

If you add “.” just before @-character, invitation will fail to the “an unexpected error”

it took a while to find out why invite was failing…

Hey @tarhytti,

Thank you for contacting Octopus Support and welcome to the forums!

I just checked online and that email address is not actually valid. According to The Wiki page for email address formats you can have a dot ( . ) provided that it is not the first or last character and provided also that it does not appear consecutively. The last character of the local part of the email address this means, so everything before the @ sign.

If you use an online validator like this one and put a random email address in:

testemail@octopus.com you will see it does not exist but it is valid but if you change it to testemail.@octopus.com it is no longer valid stating that:

Invalid email format: an invalid character has been detected in the provided sequence.

So the error you are receiving is because that email address is not actually valid as per the correct format for email addresses. Are you able to send emails at all to that email address?

I look forward to hearing from you,

Kind Regards,
Clare

Hi Clare,

I know that email address was invalid.

The ticket was just to inform you that

1. octopus could give better error notification for the case
  2. “unexpected system error” sounds like that faulty email address went quite deep to the system and caused a SW exception - not good functionality from the security point of view.

Perhaps there could be used some automatic validator.

Hey @tarhytti,

Thank you for confirming you knew the email address was invalid and thank you for letting us know that you would like to see a better error response from inputting an invalid email address into our Invites page.

I will pass this onto the engineers to see if they are able to either update the error message associated with that error or at least provide some validation on the email box for you.

I will keep you informed of those discussions,

Reach out in the meantime if you have any other queries,

Kind Regards,
Clare

This topic was automatically closed 31 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.