Failed upgrade

I’ve tried to upgrade from version 3.8 -> 3.11.7. I’m now getting errors in the logs on startup and the whole services wont start.

The error message we are seeing in the logs is
"Executing SQL Server script 'Octopus.Core.UpgradeScripts.Script0082MigrateMissingARCChannel.cs’
Upgrade failed due to an unexpected exception:
System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: key"

Is anyone else seeing these problems?

Hi,

I have the same issue.
Is the issue solved?

Had the problem with version 3.11.8, reverted to 3.11.7 and everything is working again.

Actually yes just realised its 3.11.8 i’m trying to update to. Will schedule to update our stack to 3.11.7 and see if that works.

We are also having the same issue with the latest version upgrade.

Description:
2017-03-09 08:40:41.9846 7 FATAL Database upgrade failed: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: key
System.ArgumentNullException
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary2.FindEntry(TKey key) at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary2.ContainsKey(TKey key)
at Octopus.Core.UpgradeScripts.Script0082MigrateMissingARCChannel.ProvideScript(Func1 dbCommandFactory) in Script0082MigrateMissingARCChannel.cs:line 42 at DbUp.Engine.LazySqlScript.get_Contents() at DbUp.Support.SqlServer.SqlScriptExecutor.Execute(SqlScript script, IDictionary2 variables)
at DbUp.Engine.UpgradeEngine.PerformUpgrade()
Database upgrade logs:
Fetching list of already executed scripts.
Beginning database upgrade
Executing SQL Server script 'Octopus.Core.UpgradeScripts.Script0082MigrateMissingARCChannel.cs’
Upgrade failed due to an unexpected exception:
System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: key
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary2.FindEntry(TKey key) at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary2.ContainsKey(TKey key)
at Octopus.Core.UpgradeScripts.Script0082MigrateMissingARCChannel.ProvideScript(Func1 dbCommandFactory) in Z:\buildAgent\workDir\eec88466c176b607\source\Octopus.Core\UpgradeScripts\Script0082MigrateMissingARCChannel.cs:line 42 at DbUp.Engine.LazySqlScript.get_Contents() at DbUp.Support.SqlServer.SqlScriptExecutor.Execute(SqlScript script, IDictionary2 variables)
at DbUp.Engine.UpgradeEngine.PerformUpgrade()

Hi Everyone,

We are looking into this issue right now, gathering all the info from the users that reported this problem and creating a github issue for tracking. We’ll update this thread with a link to the github issue in a couple of minutes.

I’ve pulled 3.11.8 out of rotation to avoid spreading this issue.

Deep apologies for the inconveniences caused by this failed upgrade. We’ll do our best to fix it as soon as we can.

Regards,
Dalmiro

We’ve created the following github issue that you can track for a fix: https://github.com/OctopusDeploy/Issues/issues/3274 (disregard the fact that its currently closed, it is still a work in progress and absolutely valid)

We’ve received 2 reports so far that downgrading to 3.11.7 helps as a workaround for the issue, as it avoids running the SQL script that was introduced in 3.11.8 with the bug. Please try this and let us know if it helps you get you Octopus Server up and running again.

We’ll update again once we have more new about the issue

Update: We have a fix in place that will be shipped in 3.11.9 in the next couple of hours.

Thanks everyone for the patience and once again sorry for the troubles caused by this.

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that we shipped 3.11.9 with a fix for the above issue: https://octopus.com/downloads

Please keep us posted if you still see this error after installing 3.11.9.

Best regards,
Dalmiro