ERROR: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'lower'

Getting this error since 4/7/20 6:00AM CST. looks like Microsoft Azure has made changes so that certain CLI versions cant set subscription when running the Azure powershell template.
we were able to work around by upgrading the worker VM with a new Azure CLI version and then using the OctopusDisableAzureCLI to True and OctopusUseBundledAzureCLI to False based on the step requirement if CLI was needed or not.

here is where the error happens in the azure powershell steps.
Azure CLI: Setting active subscription to bexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ERROR: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘lower’

Steps to reproduce is basically just run any azure powershell script and it will give this error.

Hi @sohail.malik,

Thanks for getting in touch! I’m sorry to hear you’re hitting this unexpected issue. Can I ask which version of Octopus you’re currently running, and the version of the Azure CLI you upgraded the worker VM to? That information will help us reproduce the issue or narrow down what could be causing this.

I look forward to hearing back!

Best regards,

Kenny

Octopus Deploy Version 2012.12.2

Azure CLI version on the Worker VM that we upgraded too after having the issue – 2.3.1

Thanks.

Hi @sohail.malik,

Thanks for following up and confirming those details. I haven’t had luck reproducing this issue, and I’ve been doing some more digging into this. In a similar issue reported a few months back in the Azure repo they recommended reverting the Azure CLI back to version 2.0.75. Is that something you could try, and if you still face this issue send the full verbose task log to give us some more context around this issue? Feel free to mark this thread as private or email us directly at support@octopus.com.

I look forward to hearing back!

Best regards,

Kenny